A major fire on March 21st, 2011, broke inside the Elysee Montmartre Theatre. Paris fire department received the first calls for help came at about 7:45 am from buildings adjacent to the theater. The interior was extensively damaged due to the fact that the theater held many fabrics and wooden pieces and was full of flammable materials. Apparently, the roof burned and its collapse caused an increase of air, and a bigger fire. The entire stage burned down and the fire spewed plumes of smoke over the Montmartre neighborhood.
The fire was under control by approximately 11:30. It is believed that the conflagration was caused by a short-circuit. 26 fire engines and 16 rescue centers have been mobilized.
The fire has destroyed a two-century-old theater, birthplace of French cabaret-style cancan dancing. The internal structural supports were designed by Gustave Eiffel, famed for the Eiffel Tower.